Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Blower motor woes: how to mod the housing to get the fan out *easier*


I finally did the fresh air blower motor housing "mod" and here it is for your viewing pleasure. This will save you at least an hour of grief. Trust me.

You're on your own for getting these pieces off. They are a major PITA, but it is possible. I will add a couple more pics to this in the next couple weeks because there's some things I forgot to snap pics of.

First, you pull off a 6" diameter rubber hose from the AC unit to the blower housing. That rubber hose connects to this piece which has now been cut to the smallest possible size to allow for a much easier reinstall:


Here's the fan housing, marked and ready to be cut. Make sure you make the cut as wide as possible so that you can get the actual motor out. There'll be plenty of room for the squirrel cage/mouse wheel/fan blade stuff.


This is the general idea of the cut. The dimensions are not important at all, it just needs to be big enough for the motor to come out. I used my dremel with a cut-off wheel to make this cut, it's the thinnest solution (so you don't leave TOO big of a gap). KEEP THE OLD CUT-OUT PIECE!


Then I tin-snipped a ~10" piece of sheet metal (that I happened to get from an old whole-house fan housing--ironic). Drilled two holes, one at each end. Then, rounded it to an appropriate diameter, and glued it to the cut-out piece from the housing.



Since there is a fair gap between the housing and the cut-out, it's necessary to place some kind of foam/rubber pieces to fill the space. I used some old black foam I had laying around. Rubber would probably be the best. I just super glued 1" wide pieces along the perimeter of the whole cut-out.

Next, I set the new patch over the hole, made sure everything lined up, marked ONE side of the drilled holes. Took whatever size drill bit was necessary to allow the screws I had to hold and drilled one side. I put the patch back on and mildly tightened down the screw. Now I marked the other side. Remove patch, drill, replace patch, place the other screw and tightened both down.



There ya go.


UPDATE [7.1.2006]: I just did my heater core and took at look at the fan housing again and everything is still absolutely perfect. The foam stuff I used as the surround is in perfect condition with no sign of deterioration.

Also, I recommend putting some high temperature grease on the the little rubber pads that keep the fan centered in the housing. They'll squeak like crazy if you don't get them aligned just right. Adding the grease widens the tolerance band.
__________________
_________________________________________________
the siggy

-pete-

100/A6 FAQ

No comments:

Post a Comment